Rich topography, sprawling savannahs, cultural diversity, and majestic wildlife make South Africa every traveler’s dream destination. For golfers, the country is replete with game reserves that promise to make teeing off a mix of pleasure, fun, and splendor.
Golfers can experience the thrill of landing the perfect swing from the Extreme 19th on Hanglip Mountain at The Legend Golf & Safari Resort. After ascending to the top, groups of four get to take six shots each from a steep ledge overlooking a 400-yard par 3. If you make a hole in one (which is confirmed by a spotter on the ground with a walkie-talkie), you get awarded one million dollars by the resort!
South African golfer Bobby Locke put South Africa on the map when he won nine South African Opens, 15 PGA Tour events, four Open Championships, and seven South African PGA Championships. The country has birthed some of the finest golf professionals the world has ever seen including Ernie Els, Retief, Rory Sabbatini and 2008 Masters Champion Trevor Immelman.
Top 10 South African Courses
- Arabella Golf Course – Hermanus
- Blair Atholl Golf and Equestrian Estate – Lanseri
- Champagne Sports Resort – Central Drakensberg
- The Country Club Johannesburg (Woodmead Course) – Aukland Park
- De Zalze Golf Club – Stellenbosch
- Durban Country Club – Stamford Hill
- East London Golf Club – Bunkers Hill
- Ebotse Golf & Country Estate – Benoni
- Elements Private Golf Reserve – Bela-Bela
- Erinvale Golf Club – Cape Town